This week has been focused on finishing the development of persistent notifications at the top of the music views. They are intended to provide information about what happen with actions the user can take to improve things.
The following items have been pushed:
- Clean up of dependencies. Now all frameworks come with a description. Some have been downgraded to optional or recommended. Some have been upgraded to recommended ;
- A new version of persistent notifications.
The new persistent notifications
The player can be in four states:
- No notifications are active
- One notification is activeOne notification
- More than one notifications are active. Only one is shown such that vertical space is preserved
- The notifications area is expanded and several notifications are visible
If the user choose to act, the buttons are temporarily disabled to provide instant feedback and the notification disappear when the root cause is fixed (like in the example, if music tracks are discovered or Baloo configuration is modified or Baloo music indexer is disabled in Elisa.).
I have tried to provide smooth transitions between each of those states. Some may still be missing. Please do not hesitate to provide feedback on this feature.
I plan to add more notifications of this kind when the software wants to provide feedback to the user and asks him to choose what he prefers.
Next week, I should continue to improve integration with Baloo. I would also like to improve (in fact allow) the keyboard interaction.